Monday, March 24, 2014

Hungry Caterpillar Baby Cocoon Set

The first thing I ever crocheted were the two eyes on this hat.  I could't figure out how to knit the perfect circle, so I grabbed a hook instead.  That's the only thing crocheted in this set, the rest is knitted.  Here is my disclaimer: I know how to read a pattern, but writing one still eludes me.  Mainly because I've never written one as I was knitting.  I always wait until someone asks for the pattern, then I go dig up my old notes and try to figure out how I made it.  This pattern was created over a year after I actually knitted it, so it is VERY rough.  I'm not certain what gauge or needles or yarn I used.  This is NOT a pattern in the traditional sense, but more like guidelines.


Alright, here goes:

Materials:
- Bulky (size 5) yarn in any green shade (I think I used the Deborah Norville Chunky in Apple Orchard) - One skein cut it very close, so depending on what size you make, you may need 2.
- Bulky (size 5) yarn in maroon (I have no idea what I used) - you need about a quarter skein.
- Size 9 circular and DPN needles
- Stitch marker
- Scrap of yellow bulky yarn for the eyes
- Scrap of green bulky yarn for the eyes (I used the same as above, but you can use a different shade.)
- Scrap of brown yarn for the nose (any size)
- Size I-9 crochet hook




For the cocoon/sack:
1) CO about 52 st onto circular needles (mark the beginning with a stitch marker)
2) Knit each row until the piece is about 4 inches.
3) Purl one row.
4) Knit each row for another 2.5 inches.
5) Purl one row.
6) Repeat [K 2.5", P one row] pattern until the piece is 16" long.
Start decreases -
7) [K3, K2tog] around
8) K row
9) [K2, K2tog] around
10) K row
11) [K, K2tog]
12) K row
13) K2tog around
14) Repeat row 13 until 5 or 6 st remain; bind off

This fit my average sized 3-month old.  For a larger or older baby, add stitches to your cast on and continue step 6 until the piece is the desired length.  A quick google search will provide you with the average sizes for babies at various ages.

Hat:
1) Cast on 48 st on circular needles and switch to DPN whenever you see fit (use a stitch marker to mark the beginning of your rows)
2) Knit until the piece is 5 inches
Start decreases -
3) [K2, K2tog] around
4) K row
5) [K, K2tog]
6) K row
7) K2tog around
8) Repeat rows 7 until 4-6 st remain; bind off

Embellishments:
The eyes are crocheted.  I started with green-
SC 6 into a magic loop
2 SC in each st around (12 st)
switch to yellow-
[SC, 2 in next SC] around (18 st)

The nose - I picked 4 knit stitches and just sort of sewed brown yarn in them in an X pattern, then closed off the sides to make as close to a circle as a I could.  Yeah, this was one of my first projects and my technique was not quite refined.

The antennae are knitted i-cords.  You tube has plenty of instructional videos for this.  Each one is about 3 inches.


This is the reason I had to learn to knit and crochet.  Look at that little face!

No comments:

Post a Comment